Technology is touching every aspect of our lives: communication, relationships, sex, money and power. The Kernel aims to document this exciting revolution but also to connect and introduce some of the people driving it.
The Kernel 50 is a by-invitation membership organisation of up to fifty trailblazing individuals in European – initially, mostly British – technology, media, design, politics and entertainment: leaders in their fields who come together to share ideas and enjoy each others’ company at events designed to introduce interesting people to one another.
This isn’t an “influence” list, nor is it ranked in any particular order. Names are given below alphabetically. It’s rather a coalition of people The Kernel thinks are leading the way in entrepreneurship and ideas but who are also, just as crucially, fun to be around.
Building this network enables The Kernel to better serve our readers by building strong and excellent relationships with the people behind the headlines.
Admittance to the Kernel 50 is by invitation only. Members are selected by The Kernel’s editorial board, our network of partners, friends and advisors and by existing members of the group. The Kernel 50′s membership is regularly reviewed and we perform a refresh of members approximately every six months.
We are currently accepting new members for consideration.
At each of the Kernel 50 events, themselves limited to fifty attendees, a mixture of the Kernel 50 and specially invited guests will enjoy talks from the most impressive and inspirational people we can lay our hands on.
Our first event will be held in June 2012, and we’ve already secured a very, very special guest to speak about his experiences as an artist, producer and television personality. More on that soon.
The Kernel 50
- Amber Atherton, founder, MY FLASH TRASH
- Colette Ballou, founder, Ballou PR
- Oli Barrett, co-founder, Co-Sponsorship Agency
- Nick Bell, Director of Digital Products, News International
- Tom Boardman, co-founder, Firebox
- Paul Birch, angel investor
- Eileen Burbidge, partner, Passion Capital
- Conor Burns, MP for Bournemouth West
- Harry Briggs, principal, Balderton Capital
- Fleur Britten, senior commissioning editor, Sunday Times Style
- Paul Carr, editor-in-chief, Not Safe For Work Corporation
- Judith Clegg, director, TakeOut
- Joe Cohen, founder, Seatwave
- Alyssa Crankshaw, vice president of communications, Yazino
- Samuel Coates, political and digital strategist
- Sherry Coutu, advisory board, LinkedIn
- Matt Cynamon, producer, General Assembly
- Fred Destin, partner, Atlas Venture
- Ilana Fox, novelist
- Emi Gal, founder, Brainient
- Nick Halstead, founder, Datasift
- Alex Hoye, chief executive, Latitude
- Nick Holzherr, founder, Whisk and 2012 Apprentice candidate
- Tom Hulme, design director, IDEO
- Bindi Karia, VC/emerging business lead, Microsoft
- Jamie Klingler, publishing manager, ShortList
- Christina Lundberg, PR manager, iZettle
- Robert Loch, founder, YesAndClub
- Joshua March, co-founder, Conversocial
- Greg Marsh, founder, onefinestay
- Andy McLoughlin, co-founder, Huddle
- Richard Moross, founder, MOO
- Max Niederhofer, vice president, Accel Partners
- Ted Nash, Venevi Enterprises
- Kathryn Parsons, director, DECODED
- Steve Pankhurst, founder, Friends Reunited
- Federico Pirzio-Biroli, angel investor
- Simon Prockter, founder, Housebites
- Bretton Putter, senior partner, Forsyth Group
- Shed Simove, founder, The Ideas Man
- Malcolm Scovil, founder, LeapCR
- Tiffany St. James, director, Stimulation Ltd.
- Reshma Sohoni, partner, Seedcamp
- Michael Acton Smith, founder, Mind Candy
- Damien Tanner, co-founder, Pusher
- Nik Thakkar, founder, Nephew London
- Jason Trost, founder, Smarkets
- Eze Vidra, head of Google Campus London
- Ella Weston, director of Stream, WPP
- Wendy Tan White, co-founder, Moonfruit
Members of The Kernel 50 who join The Kernel’s advisory board, who become investors in the company or who excuse themselves to make way for new members in one of our biannual reviews we call alumni. They are granted the same rights, privileges and invitations as current members of the 50.
- Sam Barnett, founder, Struq
- David Langer, founder, Hasty
- Alicia Navarro, co-founder, Skimlinks